The Resource Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1730-1785
- Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1730-1785
- Inclusive dates
- Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1730-1785. Consists of a photostat images of the list of tithable heads of household for the years 1730 and 1785
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Norfolk County was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691.
- In seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Virginia, the term "tithable" referred to a person who paid (or for whom someone else paid) one of the taxes imposed by the General Assembly for the support of civil government in the colony. In colonial Virginia, a poll tax or capitation tax was assessed on free white males, African American slaves, and Native American servants (both male and female), all age sixteen or older. Owners and masters paid the taxes levied on their slaves and servants. For a more detailed history of tithables, consult "Colonial Tithables" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1730-1785
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1730-1785
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bJ5-zhOst1k/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bJ5-zhOst1k/">Norfolk County (Va.) Lists of tithables and taxable property, 1730-1785</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...