The Resource Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner papers, 1763-1938
- Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner papers, 1763-1938
- Inclusive dates
- Wills -- Pennsylvania | Philadelphia
- Laidley family
- Ruffner, David Lewis, 1829-1896
- Klipstein, Mary Ann Taylor, 1820-1904
- Genealogies -- Pennsylvania
- Personal papers
- Quarrier family
- Klipstein, George Taylor, 1854-1928
- Baltimore (Md.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Klipstein family
- Taylor, Charles Marll, 1813-1873
- Alexandria (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Greeting cards
- Taylor family
- Letters (correspondence)
- Genealogies -- West Virginia
- Ruffner family
- Ledgers (account books)
- Papers, 1763-1938 of Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner (1893-1966) of Alexandria, Virginia. Includes an account book of Charles M. Taylor (1813-1873) containing accounts for taxes, insurance, repairs, and rents collected on houses and lots in Alexandria. There is also correspondence of the Klipstein, Taylor, and Ruffner families. Other items in the collection include blotters, deed and land grant, envelopes and stamps, genealogical notes on the Laidley, Quarrier, and Ruffner families, greeting cards, militia appointment, poetry, postcards, programs, slave records, trade cards, and the will of John Marll of Philadelphia (1763)
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm (Misc. Reel 6048-6049).
- Biographical or historical data
- Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner (1893-1966) was the daughter of Mary Theresa Klipstein (1866-1931) and Dr. Harry Gaunt Harryman (1865-1928) of Alexandria, Virginia. She married Richard Laidley Ruffner (1894-1965) in 1926, son of Joel Henry Ruffner (1859-1917) and Dorcas Blaine Laidley (1865-1927) of Charleston, West Virginia, and had two children: Richard Laidley Ruffner II (1927-1996) and Rebecca Mary Ruffner (1931-1934). Richard Laidley Ruffner II married Patricia Mary Ellen Karig (b. 1921) in 1954.
- David Ruffner (1767-1843) was born in Luray, Virginia, and married Lydia Anne Brumbach (1766-1852) in 1788. He moved the family to Charleston, West Virginia in 1796, where he opened the first coal mine and salt works in the area. His son, Henry Ruffner (1790-1861), was an ordained minister in Charleston, West Virginia, and married Saray Montgomery Lyle (1787-1849), daughter of Captain William Lyle of Rockbridge County, Virginia. He moved the family to Lexington, Virginia, where he became a professor and then president of Washington College. Their children included: William Henry (1824-1908), David Lewis (1829-1896), Julia (1822-1864), and Anne (b. 1825). After his first wife died in 1849 Henry married Laura Kirby.
- David Lewis Ruffner married his second cousin, Frances Eleanor Ruffner (1830-1909), in 1853 and was a laywer and civil engineer in Charleston, West Virginia. Their children included: Sallie Lyle (1854-1933), David Lewis (1860-1904), Ethel Marye (1869-1949), and Joel Henry (1859-1917). Frances Eleanor Ruffner was the daughter of Diana Marye (1809-1881) and Joel Ruffner (1802-1882). Diana Marye was the daughter of William Staige Marye (1775-1837) and Mary Elizabeth Ruffner (1785-1852). William Staige Marye was the son of Eleanor Green (d. 1822) and Peter Marye (b. 1737). Eleanor Green was the daughter of William Green (d. 1770) and Anne Coleman of Culpeper County, Virginia.
- Joel Henry Ruffner married Dorcas Blaine Laidley (1865-1927) in 1886 in Charleston, West Virginia. Their children included: Diana Laidley (b. 1889), Lydia Fontaine (b. 1891), Richard Laidley (1894-1965), David Lewis (b. 1896), Percy Laidley (b. 1899), Dorcas Lyle (b. 1901), and Margaret Keith (1909-1926).
- William Ball Klipstein (1817-1881) was born in Fauqier County, Virginia, to Sarah Ransdell Ball (1796-1849) and Philip Augustus Klipstein II (1791-1855). He studied at the University of New York, receiving a medical degree in 1844, and established medical offices in Alexandria, Virginia. He married Mary Ann Taylor (1820-1904) on 10 July 1851. Their children included: Rebecca (Mittie) Taylor Klipstein (1852-1933), George Taylor Klipstein (1854-1928), and Mary (Mamie) Theresa Klipstein (1866-1931). Rebecca Taylor Klipstein never married. George Taylor Klipstein married Naomi Simmons (1874-1902) in 1915. Mary Klipstein married Harry Gaunt Harryman (1865-1928) in 1892 and their children included: William Klipstein Harryman (1895-1959) and Mary Ellen Harryman (1893-1966). William Klipstein Harryman married Vivien C. Decker in 1919. Mary Ellen Harryman married Richard Laidley Ruffner in 1926.
- Rebecca and Evan Taylor had four children: Charles Marll Taylor (1813-1873), George Richard Taylor (1818-1880), Hannah Elizabeth Taylor (1815-1849), and Mary Ann Taylor (1820-1904). Mary Ann Taylor married William Ball Klipstein in 1851 and resided in Alexandria, Virginia. Hannah Elizabeth Taylor married James Clark in 1842 and resided in Alexandria, Virginia. Their children included Esther (1845-1900) who married James Morrison (d. 1892) and settled in Maryland; Mary who married Ludwick Reicher in 1883 and resided in Alexandria, Virginia; Frances Ann (d. 1932) who remained unmarried; and Charles who married Kate Gilmore and lived in Missouri. George Richard Taylor married Theresa de Paul, had eight children, served as president of the Pacific Railroad, and resided in Missouri. Charles Marll Taylor married first Esther Clark and second Sally Hendry and produced no heirs.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner papers, 1763-1938
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner papers, 1763-1938
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bNnq_vAkVTA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bNnq_vAkVTA/">Mary Ellen Harryman Ruffner papers, 1763-1938</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...