The Resource Draft ordinance for establishing a general test, 1775 Dec. 20
- Draft ordinance for establishing a general test, 1775 Dec. 20
- Inclusive dates
- 1775 Dec. 20
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- Contains a draft copy of the ordinance for establishing a general test for the various freemen in the colony of Virginia to promise & declare that they will not take up arms against the Colony. Also includes a typescript analysis of the "alledged Test of George Mason." This document doubts George Mason's authorship of the ordinance
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 617.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Draft ordinance for establishing a general test, 1775 Dec. 20
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Draft ordinance for establishing a general test, 1775 Dec. 20
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bgjjzDNfkGk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bgjjzDNfkGk/">Draft ordinance for establishing a general test, 1775 Dec. 20</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...