The Resource 1858-1868
- Inclusive dates
- Guy, John Randolph, b. 1823
- Commission merchants. -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Mills and mill-work -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Business records -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Guy and Sale (Rockbridge County, Va.)
- Rockbridge County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Account books -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | Rockbridge County
- The business records of John Randolph Guy and John H. Sale, millers, consist of an account book and ledger
- Account book, 1858-1868, records John Randolph Guy's business activities as a commission agent, 1858-1859, and as a miller in partnership with John H. Sale, 1861-1868
- The portion of the account book that relates to John Randolph Guy's activities as a commission agent records transactions in chronogical order. Entries contain the following information: date of transaction; name of boat from whom Guy bought goods; name of merchants, businesses, and individuals to whom Guy sold goods; items sold; quantity sold; and cost of goods sold. Items sold include fish, molasses, spices, bacon, knives, iron pipes, nails, soap, axes, and pianos. Virginia Military Institute was one of Guy's customers
- The portion of the account book that relates to John R. Guy's activities as a miller with John H. Sale records transactions in chronogical order. The mill produced flour, plaster, and meal and also served as a sawmill. Entries contain the following information: date of transaction, name of customer, goods purchased or services rendered, quantity of items purchased, amount owed. Entries also include page numbers where information can be found in corresponding ledger
- Ledger, 1861-1863;1865;1868, of Guy and Sale that records the accounts of individual customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found includes name of customer, date of transactions, form of transaction, amount owed and amount paid. Entries also include page numbers where information can be found in corresponding account book
- Biographical or historical data
- Guy and Sale was a milling company owned by John Randolph Guy and John H. Sale that conducted business in Rockbridge County during the mid-nineteenth century.
- John Randolph Guy was born in New York in 1823. In 1850, Guy resided in Campbell County, Virginia where he worked as a clerk for a commission merchant named D.B. Phelps. After 1860, Guy resided in Rockbridge County, Virginia, where he worked as a commission agent and later as a miller with John H. Sale.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Business Records
ContextContext of 1858-1868
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1858-1868
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bhKY3bTpHOU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bhKY3bTpHOU/">1858-1868</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...