The Resource George C. Peery diary, 1936
- George C. Peery diary, 1936
- Inclusive dates
- Judges -- Virginia
- United States -- History -- 1933-1945
- Democratic National Convention, (1936 : Philadelphia)
- Elections -- Virginia
- Battle, John Stewart, 1890-1972
- Democratic Party (Va.)
- Republican National Convention, (1936 : Cleveland)
- Peery family
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945
- Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 1933-1945
- Roosevelt, Franklin D., (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Personal papers
- Shenandoah National Park (Va.)
- Democratic State Convention, (1936 : Norfolk)
- Meteorology. -- Virginia | Richmond
- Staples, Abram P., (Abram Penn), 1885-1951
- Peery, Nancy Bane Gillespie, 1882-1963
- Old age pensions. -- Virginia
- Richmond (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Virginia -- Social life and customs
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945
- Meteorology. -- Virginia | Tazewell County
- Virginia -- History -- 1933-1945
- Peery, George C., (George Campbell), 1873-1952
- Insurance, Unemployment. -- Virginia
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1936
- Diary, 1936, of George C. Peery (1873-1952), Governor of Virginia, detailing his daily activities during the year and discussing the general assembly sessions, including an extra session; appointments; engagements; conferences; meetings; and personal activities. Peery also comments on political activities, including the Democratic National Convention and the election; legislation, including old age pension, tobacco control, and unemployment insurance; and the weather
- Some dates of interest: 1 January, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts opens; 22 February, Walter Johnson (1887-1946) throws a dollar across the Rappahannock River; 8 March, Adolph Hitler (1889-1945) renounces the Versailles treaty; 3 July, the Shenandoah National Park is dedicated; 3-5 July, Peery is with President Franklin Roosevelt (1882-1945) ; 21 July, 75th anniversary of battle of Manassas; 10 December, abdication of Edward VIII (1894-1972)
- Biographical or historical data
- George Campbell Peery was born 28 October 1873 in Cedar Bluff, Tazewell County, Virginia. He graduated from Emory and Henry College in 1894 and received a law degree from Washington and Lee in 1897. Peery practiced law in Tazewell County. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1922 and served from 1923 to 1929. Peery was elected governor of Virginia in 1933 and served from 1934 to 1938. He returned to the practice of law in Tazewell County after his term ended. Peery married Nancy Bane Gillespie (1882-1963) 19 June 1907, and they had 3 children. Peery died 14 October 1952 in Richlands, Tazewell County, and was buried in Maplewood Cemetery in Tazewell County.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- George C. Peery papers, 1899-1945 (LVA accession 35134).
- Virginia Governor executive papers (1934-1938 : Peery) (LVA accession 23344b).
- Virginia Governor inaugural records (1934-1938 : Peery), 1934 (LVA accession 37566).
ContextContext of George C. Peery diary, 1936
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work George C. Peery diary, 1936
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bw_dc4-hteg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/bw_dc4-hteg/">George C. Peery diary, 1936</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...