The Resource Records of the Virginia Racing Commission, 1993-2009
- Records of the Virginia Racing Commission, 1993-2009
- Inclusive dates
- The Virginia Racing Commission records are housed in fourteen boxes and are arranged in five series. Series have been designated for Transcripts (Minutes), Hearing Files, Correspondence, Annual Reports, and Architectural Drawings
- Series I is housed in four archival boxes and contains full transcripts of Virginia Racing Commission meetings between 1999 and 2006. Series II is housed in four archival boxes and contains information regarding public hearings between 1993 & 1994. Series II is housed in five archival boxes and contains correspondence/subject files belonging to Stanley K. Bowker as Executive Secretary of the Virginia Racing Commission between 1997 and 2008. Series IV contains a few annual reports of the Commission between 1997 & 2002. Series V contains a pamphlet with architectural drawings of the proposed Old Dominion Jockey Club in 1993. Series VI contains Accession 51013, which contains correspondence and subject files of Executive Secretaries Stanley K. Bowker and Victor I. Harrison, as well as transcripts of meetings of the Virginia Racing Commission
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Racing Commission. (Search Virginia Racing Commission as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Racing Commission was enacted in November 1988 and began meeting in 1989. The Commission consisted of five members appointed by the governor and confirmed by a majority of the General Assembly for a five-year term. The commissioners, in turn, appoint an executive secretary who serves as the agency head. The mission of the Virginia Racing Commission according to its strategic plan is "to promote, sustain, grow, and control a native horse racing industry with pari-mutuel wagering by prescribing regulations and conditions that command and promote excellence and complete honesty and integrity in racing and wagering." The Commission issues licenses for the construction, ownership, and operation of unlimited horse racing facilities & limited license race meetings. The Commission also issues permits to all persons participating in these races. On 12 October 1994, the Commission voted to issue an unlimited license to Stansley Management to construct, own, & operate a racetrack. This racetrack, Colonial Downs, opened on 1 September 1997 in New Kent County. Colonial Downs is now owned by Jeffrey & Richard Jacobs' Jacobs Entertainment.
- Simulcasting of horseracing began in Virginia in 1991. In 1992, the General Assembly approved legislation permitting up to six satellite-wagering facilities in Virginia. Chesapeake opened the first satellite facility on 18 February 1996. A second satellite facility opened in Richmond on December 10. Hampton & Brunswick satellite facilities were opened in 1997. Still more satellite facilities opened in South Richmond in 2003 & Vinton in 2004. In 2004, the General Assembly amended the Racing Act to permit up to ten satellite-wagering facilities. Referendums passed in Westmoreland, Henry, & Scott counties to open facilities in Martinsville and a second facility in Chesapeake in 2005, and a facility in Scott County in 2006.
- In 2003, a new statute was enacted requiring the Commission to license & regulate advance deposit account wagering companies operating in Virginia. As of 2007, The Virginia racing Commission oversaw one live horse racing facility at Colonial Downs, nine satellite-wagering facilities, and four advance deposit account wagering companies.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Records of the Virginia Racing Commission, 1993-2009
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Records of the Virginia Racing Commission, 1993-2009
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cA0hRlSNAzw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cA0hRlSNAzw/">Records of the Virginia Racing Commission, 1993-2009</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...