The Resource 1782 Feb. 28
- 1782 Feb. 28
- Inclusive dates
- 1782 Feb. 28
- Fort Pitt (Pa.)
- Personal papers -- Pennsylvania | Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Harrison, Benjamin, 1726-1791
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- United States
- Letters (correspondence)
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Typescript of a letter, dated 28 February 1782, from George Washington (1732-1799) to Governor Benjamin Harrison (1726-1791) of Virginia, informing Harrison of military progress, particularily around Fort Pitt, and troop arrangements. Letter can also be found in THE WRITINGS OF GEORGE WASHINGTON, John C. Fitzpatrick, editor, volume 24, pp. 27-28
- Biographical or historical data
- George Washington was born 22 February 1732 (adjusted calendar) in Westmoreland County, Virginia, to Augustine Washington (1694-1743) and Mary Ball Washington (1708-1789). He became a surveyor at a young age, and an officer in the Virginia militia. Washington was appointed a lieutenant colonel in the Virginia militia during the French and Indian War. He was a member of the House of Burgesses from 1758 to 1774, and a member of the first and second Continental Congresses in 1774 and 1775. On 15 June 1775, Washington was appointed General commanding the Continental Army and served until 1783. He was president of the Federal Constitutional Convention in 1787, and was elected the first president of the United States, serving from 1789 to 1797. He married Martha Dandridge Custis (1731-1802) 6 January 1759. Washington died at Mount Vernon in Fairfax County, Virginia, and was buried there.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Original located in vault at the Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1782 Feb. 28
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1782 Feb. 28
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cE1erQRxGOY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cE1erQRxGOY/">1782 Feb. 28</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...