The Resource Letter of Capt. John Neville, 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)
- Letter of Capt. John Neville, 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)
- Inclusive dates
- 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- Fort Pitt (Pa.)
- State government records
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- American loyalists -- Virginia
- Detroit (Mich.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Long, Paul
- O'Hara, James, 1752-1819
- Letters (correspondence)
- Virginia, (1776 : May 6-July 5)
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Contains a letter from Capt. John Neville, Fort Pitt, to [Edmund Pendleton], the President of the Convention providing intelligence from James O'Hara regarding Fort Detroit. O'Hara provides Neville with information on the number of troops, Indian tribes, & vessels guarding the fort. In addition, O'Hara provides information on a person named Paul Long who was suspected of "disaffection to the common cause." Neville also writes about the petition to Congress regarding the establishment of a separate government on the west side of the Allegheny. Lastly, Neville mentions the expiration of enlistment for his company at Ft. Pitt
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 618.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Stanard, William G., ed. THE VIRGINIA MAGAZINE OF HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, vol. xvi, p. 53-55. Richmond: Virginia Historical Society, July 1908
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Letter of Capt. John Neville, 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter of Capt. John Neville, 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cJx6jQrU7_s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cJx6jQrU7_s/">Letter of Capt. John Neville, 1776 June 13 (laid before the Convention on 29 June 1776)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...