The Resource York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12
- York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12
- Inclusive dates
- 1789 August 12
- York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12, is a letter from Mason at Gunston Hall to attorney Waller in Williamsburg regarding a judgment and chancery suit against William Lee. Mason discusses his opinions on the various legal actions currently pending, gives instructions for what he wishes done regarding them, and asks for legal advice. He also mentions his good friend John Marshall of Richmond
- Biographical or historical data
- York County was originally named Charles River County, for Charles I, and was one of the eight shires formed in 1634. The present name was given in 1643, probably in honor of James, duke of York, the second son of Charles I.
- George Mason of Gunston Hall in Fairfax County, Virginia, was born 11 December 1725. He married first Ann Eilback (1734-1773) 4 April 1750, and second Sarah Brent (1728-1794) 11 April 1780. Mason represented Fairfax County in the House of Burgesses from 1758 to 1761; in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Virginia Conventions from 1775-1776; and in the House of Delegates from 1776 to 1781 and 1786 to 1788. In the 5th Virginia Convention, Mason was appointed to the committee which wrote Virginia's first state constitution. Mason authored the Virginia Declaration of Rights, which has appeared in every subsequent state constitution. Mason attended the federal Constitutional Convention in 1787, but did not sign the document because it did not have a bill of rights at the time. This lack of a bill of rights also led to his opposition to the Constitution during the Virginia ratification convention in 1788. When the Bill of Rights was finally added to the federal Consitution, it was based on his Declaration of Rights. George Mason died at Gunston Hall, in Fairfax County, 7 October 1792.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ciNm0NPDeUc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ciNm0NPDeUc/">York County (Va.) Letter of George Mason to Benjamin Waller, 1789 August 12</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...