The Resource Engineers' and mechanics' pocket book...
- Engineers' and mechanics' pocket book...
- Engineers' and Mechanics' Pocket-Book (4th ed.), 1847, by Charles H. Haswell, containing information on weights and measures, tables of mathematical areas, weights and measures, rules of arithmetic, geometry, trigonometry, gravity, strengths of various materials, hydraulics, hydrostatics, pneumatics, heat, steam and the steam engine, combustion, and miscellaneous notes, diagrams, and exercises
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Haynes Haswell was born in New York City on 22 May 1809. He was educated at Jamaica, Long Island, and in a classical school in New York City. In 1825, he entereed the steam engine factory of James P. Allaire, where he remained for several years. In 1836 he was appointed chief engineer in the United States Navy. He was a member of the board that designed the steam frigates "Missouri" and "Mississppi." An engineer corps having been organized in 1839, he was promoted to the rank of engineer-in-chief in 1844, and held that office until 1850, when, in consequence of failing health, he left the service. Subsequently he travelled in Europe, and on his return settled in New York, and resumed the practice of his profession. He was a trustee of the New York and Brooklyn Bridge in 1877-1878, and in addition to membership in all of the principal engineering societies in the United States, he was a member of the institutes of civil engineers and of naval architects in Great Britain. Haswell died at his home in Manhattan on 12 May 1907.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Engineers' and mechanics' pocket book...
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Engineers' and mechanics' pocket book...
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cue2lIWeMQQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/cue2lIWeMQQ/">Engineers' and mechanics' pocket book...</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...