The Resource List of certificates issued for militia and War of 1812 expenses, 1807-1817
- List of certificates issued for militia and War of 1812 expenses, 1807-1817
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - War of 1812
- Volume contains names of persons to whom certificates were issued, dates, and amounts. Those parts of the volume covering the years 1812-1817 duplicate the volume titled List of Certificates Issued for War of 1812 Expenses (entry 251)
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm as Miscellaneous Reel 988.
- Biographical or historical data
- The United States Congress declared war against Great Britain on 18 June 1812 in response to British impressment of American seamen, violation of American neutrality, and blockade of American ports. The British responded by blockading the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and raiding coastal settlements. In June 1813 the British attempted to capture Norfolk but were repulsed by militia stationed on Craney Island. Although encounters were few, the threat of attack kept militia in the field throughout the war, which ended when the Treaty of Ghent was signed on 24 December 1814.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 250
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Account inventory
ContextContext of List of certificates issued for militia and War of 1812 expenses, 1807-1817
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work List of certificates issued for militia and War of 1812 expenses, 1807-1817
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dMyWSbCjjMg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dMyWSbCjjMg/">List of certificates issued for militia and War of 1812 expenses, 1807-1817</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...