The Resource The Female Creed, ca. 1710
- The Female Creed, ca. 1710
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1710
- Essay, ca. 1710, consisting of a handwritten copy of Byrd's satirical story that focuses on the perceived stereotypes that women are superstitious and overly emotional. Located on microfilm reel 430-486
- Biographical or historical data
- William Byrd was born 28 March 1674, probably in Henrico County, Virginia, to William Byrd (ca. 1652-1704) and Mary Horsmaden Byrd (1652-1699). Byrd was raised and educated in England, studied at the Middle Temple, and was called to the bar in 1695. In 1696, he returned to Virginia, was elected to the House of Burgesses, but returned to London to practice law. From 1698 to 1702, Byrd served as the colony’s colonial agent. He returned to Virginia in 1705, after learning of his father’s death. Byrd ran the large estate his father left, and in 1709, he was appointed to the Governor’s Council. Byrd returned to London in 1716 and stayed until 1720 when he left for Virginia, then returned to London in 1721 and stayed until 1726. Byrd developed his lands in Virginia and founded both Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia. Byrd married Lucy Parke (d. 1716) 4 May 1706, and they had four children. He married second Maria Taylor 9 May 1724, and they had four children. Byrd died at his home Westover in Charles City County, Virginia, 6 September 1744, and was buried in the garden.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of The Female Creed, ca. 1710
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The Female Creed, ca. 1710
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dcMxZ4p_SZk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dcMxZ4p_SZk/">The Female Creed, ca. 1710</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...