The Resource Floyd's Army, : vouchers for provisions, 1862-1863
- Floyd's Army, : vouchers for provisions, 1862-1863
- Title remainder
- vouchers for provisions
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - Civil War. General Records
- The vouchers include the names of persons to whom the money was owed, the amounts, and the dates the vouchers were submitted
- There were 52 items submitted 1862-1863
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- John Buchanan Floyd, 1806-1863, was born at "Smithfield", Montgomery County, Va. and served as Secretary of War, 1857-1861. He left office in a cloud of rumor and accusations regarding his alleged transfer of federal arms to the South and mismanagement of Indian trust funds. When Virginia seceded he became a brigadier general, but his reputation as a rogue, and his singular inability to cooperate with fellow commanders led to removal from command by Jefferson Davis after his abrupt withdrawal from Ft. Donelson. He was appointed a major general by the Virginia General Assembly, and died soon after near Abingdon. His papers were destroyed in a Union raid.
- The General Assembly passed an act on 15 May 1862 authorizing the govenor to commission Floyd as a major general in the Virginia state line. Floyd raised a ten-thousand-man force that was not immediately placed in the service of the state of Virginia or the Confederate States, nor was it affected by the conscription law passed 16 April 1862. The sum of $2,500,000 was appropriated for this force, and on 28 February 1863 the General Assembly transferred the troops to Confederate service.
- Citation location within source
- Entry no. 182
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Floyd's Army, : vouchers for provisions, 1862-1863
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Floyd's Army, : vouchers for provisions, 1862-1863
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dwIiBHbba1o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/dwIiBHbba1o/">Floyd's Army, : vouchers for provisions, 1862-1863</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...