The Resource Letter of John Connolly to George Rootes, 1775 Aug. 1
- Letter of John Connolly to George Rootes, 1775 Aug. 1
- Inclusive dates
- 1775 Aug. 1
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- Indians of North America -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Indians of North America -- Treaties -- 18th century
- State government records
- Shawnee Indians -- Treaties
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Participation, French
- Delaware Indians
- Virginia, (1775 July 17-Aug. 26)
- Letters (correspondence)
- American loyalists
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Contains a letter from John Connolly, Winchester, to George Rootes regarding his completion of a treaty with the Shawanese Indians. Also includes the affidavit of Garret Pendergrass before John Gibson, justice for Augusta County, regarding his leaving the Delaware towns, a French trader named Baubee encouraging attacks on the white people, and ammunition to be furnished by Baubee for that purpose
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 616.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Letter of John Connolly to George Rootes, 1775 Aug. 1
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter of John Connolly to George Rootes, 1775 Aug. 1
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/e0wJ9N8MMzc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/e0wJ9N8MMzc/">Letter of John Connolly to George Rootes, 1775 Aug. 1</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...