The Resource 1852-1866
- Inclusive dates
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1849-1877
- Personal papers -- Virginia | King William County
- Wit and humor
- United States -- History -- 1849-1877
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1849-1877
- Virginia -- History -- 1849-1877
- Slavery -- United States
- Scrapbooks, 1852-1866, of William R. Aylett of King William County, Virginia, consisting of clippings from various newspapers, mainly in Virginia, and covering humor, religion, politics, economics, society and culture, and slavery. Clippings consist of articles, speeches, poetry, epigrams, puns, letters, jokes, and anecdotes. The majority of clippings comes from 1852 to 1856. Volumes 1 and 3 consist mainly of humorous and light articles, while volume 2 consists mainly of articles, speeches, and letters dealing with politics
- Biographical or historical data
- William R. Aylett was born in 1833 in King William County, Virginia, the son of Phillip Roane Aylett (b. 1791) and Judith Page Waller Aylett. He attended the University of Virginia from 1850 to 1854, returned to King William County, and began practicing law. He married Alice Roane Brockenborough 3 July 1860. When the Civil War began, Aylett enlisted as a captain in the 53rd Virginia Infantry. He eventually rose to the rank of colonel. Wounded at Gettysburg 3 July 1863 and at Drewry's Bluff 16 May 1864, Aylett received commendations for gallantry twice. He was wounded and captured at Saylor's Creek, Virginia, 6 April 1865 and sent to Old Capitol Prison in Washington D.C. Transferred to Johnson's Island, Ohio, Aylett took the oath there 25 July 1865. Returning to King William County, he resumed practicing law. He became Commonwealth's Attorney. Aylett died 6 August 1900 in King William County.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1852-1866
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1852-1866
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/e2hJDzJzJIM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/e2hJDzJzJIM/">1852-1866</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...