The Resource Note of James E. Heath, 1825
- Note of James E. Heath, 1825
- Inclusive dates
- Contains a note of James E. Heath, Auditor of Public Accounts, regarding insolvents in the revenue tax of Washington County for the year 1820
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts. (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- James Ewell Heath was born 8 July 1792 possibly in Northumberland County, Virginia, the son of John Heath (1758-1810) who was a Congresman in 1793-1797. James Ewell Heath represented Prince William County, Virginia, in the House of Delegates from 1814 to 1817 and was appointed to the Privy Council his last term. In 1819, he was appointed state auditor, a position he held for 30 years. Heath was commissioner of pensions during the term of President Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), from 1850 to 1853. Heath also was an author, writing a novel titled EDGE-HILL, OR THE FAMILY OF THE FITZROYALS published in 1828. His work received high praise from Edgar Allen Poe and George Tucker, but it only sold modestly. He wrote a play called WHIGS AND DEMOCRATS, OR LOVE OF NO POLITICS which was published anonymously in 1839 and performed on stage in 1844. It was said that the Democratic party in Virginia forced him out of the auditor's position because of this play. He played a prominent role in the establishment of the SOUTHERN LITERARY MESSENGER. Heath married first Frances "Fanny" Weems (ca. 1795-1813), daughter of "Parson" Mason Locke Weems (1759-1825), and second Elizabeth Ann Macon (1801-1868) of New Kent County, Virginia, 21 September 1820. Heath had three children by his second marriage. He died 28 June 1862 in Richmond, Virginia, and was buried in Shockoe Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Note of James E. Heath, 1825
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Note of James E. Heath, 1825
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eI-eNil9Zx4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eI-eNil9Zx4/">Note of James E. Heath, 1825</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...