The Resource Account of criminal prosecutions due to Norfolk Borough, 1789 Sept. 21
- Account of criminal prosecutions due to Norfolk Borough, 1789 Sept. 21
- Inclusive dates
- 1789 Sept. 21
- Norfolk (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Courts -- Virginia -- Officials and employees -- 18th century
- Costs (Law). -- Virginia -- 18th century
- State government records -- Virginia
- Court administration -- Virginia
- Courts -- Virginia | Norfolk
- Moseley, Alexander
- Lee, Richard Evers
- Virginia -- History -- 18th Century
- Portlock, Samuel
- Contains an account of the Auditor of Public Accounts of criminal prosecutions due Norfolk Borough. The account includes a copy of an order from the Hustings Court for Nofolk Borough that the clerk of Norfolk Borough prepare an account of the expenses paid by the Borough for criminal prosecutions before Jan. 1788. There are three accounts listed including Richard Evers Lee as attorney, Moseley as clerk, & Samuel Portlock as sergeant. The accounts provide the date, court case, & amount. The order & accounts were copied by Ale[ander] Moseley, clerk of Norfolk Borough
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts. (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- On 3 January 1788 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the reimbursement by the state of expenses incurred by individuals in the apprehension, trial, and punishment of criminals. Clerks of state and local courts forwarded the names of jurors, witnesses and other claimants with accounts of their expenses to the auditor for certification and payment. The state also paid local officials and private citizens for questioning, guarding, feeding, and transporting prisoners to the local jail or the state penitentiary.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Account of criminal prosecutions due to Norfolk Borough, 1789 Sept. 21
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Account of criminal prosecutions due to Norfolk Borough, 1789 Sept. 21
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eJdSjd0VCUo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eJdSjd0VCUo/">Account of criminal prosecutions due to Norfolk Borough, 1789 Sept. 21</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...