The Resource Excerpts of acts regarding half pay, ca. 1783
- Excerpts of acts regarding half pay, ca. 1783
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1783
- Contains excerpts of acts of the General Assembly regarding half pay for officers who served during the Revolutionary War. Included are excerpts from the acts of May 1779, October 1781, October 1782, and May 1783
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia General Assembly. (Search Virginia General Assembly as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in May 1779 the General Assembly granted half pay for life to officers who served to the end of the Revolutionary War, or who, if their unit was reorganized, were thereby rendered supernumerary officers subject to recall. In 1780 the General Assembly granted half pay for seven years to the widows and orphans of officers. Virginia defaulted on its half pay claims, however, and by an act of Congress passed 5 July 1832 the United States government assumed these obligations. An act of the General Assembly in May 1783 directed the auditors to issue warrants to officers of the state line and navy who are entitled to half pay. It also directed the auditors to make a return of such warrants to the General Assembly. A Board of Field Officers was directed by the governor to settle claims for half pay between 1782 and 1784.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Excerpts of acts regarding half pay, ca. 1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Excerpts of acts regarding half pay, ca. 1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eOB0-7yR0NM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eOB0-7yR0NM/">Excerpts of acts regarding half pay, ca. 1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...