The Resource Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807
- Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807
- Inclusive dates
- Title variation
- Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Bonds,
- Title variation date
- Racially mixed people. -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Accomack County (Va.)
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Free African Americans. -- Marriage -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Marriage registers -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Slaves -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Accomack County (Va.) -- History
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Slaves -- Marriage -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Accomack County
- Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807, records the dates of marriage bonds, the dates of the marriage license, the names of the groom and bride, the monetary amount of the marriage bond, the sureties for the marriage bond, the couple's date of marriage and the minister performing the ceremony. Typically, a marriage register is based in part on ministers' returns. Marriages between free persons of color are noted on pages 4-6, 11, 14, 24, 37, 40-41, 44 and 50. Marriages between racially mixed individuals are noted on pages 16 and 46. A slave marriage is noted on page 24. Volume was originally titled, "Marriage Bonds, 1774-1806."
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Accomack County was formed from Northampton County about 1663. The county gained a small part of the southern end of Smith's Island from Somerset County, Maryland, in 1879, after the United States had approved boundary changes between Virginia and Maryland settled in 1877. The county was named for the Accomac Indians, who lived on the Eastern Shore at the time of the first English settlement in Virginia. The word means "on-the-other-side-of-water place."
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- The original marriage records, from which this volume was compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- This volume is found at the State Records Center. Contact Archives Research Services for access information, directions and hours.
- Additional Accomack County Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records On Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- A published volume, by Stratton Nottingham, entitled "Marriage License Bonds of Accomack County, Virginia" is found in the Library of Virginia's collection.
ContextContext of Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eU4X4qvOR9U/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eU4X4qvOR9U/">Accomack County (Va.) Marriage Register, 1774-1807</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...