The Resource Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955
- Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955
- Inclusive dates
- African Americans -- Virginia | Albemarle County
- Local government records -- Virginia
- Voter's lists -- Virginia | Albemarle County
- African Americans -- Suffrage
- Albemarle County (Va.)
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Election Records -- Virginia | Albemarle County
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Women. -- Suffrage -- Virginia | Albemarle County
- African Americans -- History -- 1877-1964
- Suffrage -- Virginia | Albemarle County
- Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955 (bulk 1902-1955), include Albemarle County lists of registered voters compiled in the individual county precincts and the general voter registration book. The collection also contains lists of registered voters from Charlottesville City (Va.)
- Albemarle County lists of registered voters consist of the individual rolls of registered voters, colored and white, for the following precincts: Albernine, Batesville, Blackwell, Carter's Bridge, Courthouse, Covesville, Crozet, Earlysville, Free Union, Hillsboro, Howardsville, Ivy, Keswick, Lindsay, Milton, Monticello, North Garden, Owensville, Porters, Proffit, Scottsville, Stony Point, White Hall and Wingfields. Also included are the individual rolls of registered voters, colored and white, for the following wards of Charlottesville City (Va.): 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Rolls also include names of women who registered following passage of Nineteenth Amendment in 1920. Information found in the rolls includes date of registration; number of registered voter; name of registered voter; date of birth; age; occupation; residence; length of residence in state, county, and precinct; whether exempt from poll tax; if naturalized, and if so, date of papers and by what court issued; if transferred from another precinct, and if so, when and to what precinct. The information found in the 1902 rolls was transferred to the 1900-1903 general voter registration book also found in this collection. Various miscellaneous papers can also be found within the volumes of this collection including ballots, registration applications, correspondence and newspaper articles related to the poll tax
- Biographical or historical data
- Albemarle County was named for William Anne Keppel, second earl of Albemarle and governor of the Virginia colony from 1737 to 1754. It was formed from Goochland County in 1744, and part of Louisa County and certain islands in the Fluvanna River, now called the James, were added in 1761 and 1838.
- The 1902 voter registration books were created following the passage of the 1902 Virginia state constitution. The purpose of the 1902 state constitution was to maintain white suffrage while eliminating African-American voters by means of literacy tests as well as property and poll tax requirements.
- The Nineteenth Amendment was granted the right to vote to women. It was proposed on June 4, 1919 and ratified on August 18, 1920.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eUi-9I28W94/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eUi-9I28W94/">Albemarle County (Va.) Lists of Voters Registered, 1886-1955</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...