The Resource Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)
- Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)
- Inclusive dates
- 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)
- Winchester (Va.)
- Muster rolls -- Virginia | Winchester
- World War, 1917-1918 -- Registers -- Virginia | Winchester
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Winchester
- Winchester (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Military records -- Virginia | Winchester
- Local government records -- Virginia | Winchester
- Virginia -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918), is a listing of men who served in one of the several branches of the armed services during World War I. Information included in the muster roll includes name, address (name of town), age, color, selective service (date drafted), volunteers for army, navy and marine corps (date accepted and which branch), National Guard and naval militia (date and where mustered), rank, branch, and remarks which include notations about date discharged, reason and date of deaths, whether someone was a chaplain, etc
- Page 1 in the book states that Winchester did not keep the records in 1918 and as a result the Robert Y. Conrad Post Number 21, of the American Legion obtained from Virginia's Adjutant General a complete list of all men in service from Winchester and Frederick County in the World War I. The first list, which appears between page 2 and page 154, includes the names of men who were drafted in 1918 and also includes the names of a few men that enlisted in 1917 and 1918. This list tells where they were enlisted, accepted or drafted. The second list is the Muster Roll of Company I, 2nd Virginia Infantry that mustered into service on March 25, 1917. This list appears on pages 177-184. On pages toward the back of the book are copies of the Honorable Discharge Records for three men who served in the Army, one man who served in the Marine Corps and a woman who served in the Ohio Reserve Nurse, Army Nurse Corps
- Biographical or historical data
- The City of Winchester, in Frederick County, was first known as Opequon, then as Frederick's Town (or Fredericktown), and, finally, upon establishment as a town in 1752, as Winchester. According to tradition, one of the town's founders, James Wood, named the town in honor of his birthplace in England. Winchester was incorporated as a town in 1779 and as a city in 1874. It was enlarged by annexation from Frederick County in 1970.
- An act passed by the Virginia General Assembly on March 16, 1918 required the recordation of the names of drafted men. The chairman of each of the Local Draft Boards of the Virginia counties and cities were to furnish their clerk of court were deeds of land were recorded, with the list of residents who through the selective draft law have become members of the military forces of the United States. In cities that were separated into divisions, the chairman of the Local Draft Board of each division was to keep the records. In Richmond City, the Clerk of the Chancery Court was to keep the records. When the clerk of the court received this information, he was to copy it in a book or books provided for the purpose and also create an index for the book. The Adjutant-General of the State was to furnish a list of names of those who joined volunteer companies from the counties or cities. These lists are also to be recorded in to the book and also indexed. Persons joining the naval or military forces of the United States or its allies were allowed to have their record listed in the book. They or someone for them made an application and provide proof of service and when this was done; their record would be recorded in the book.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Winchester Military Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
- See also: Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922 (bulk 1917-1918).
ContextContext of Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eu5PMn_ecJw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/eu5PMn_ecJw/">Winchester (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1960 (bulk 1917-1918)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...