The Resource Records of the State Board for Community Colleges, 1957-2002
- Records of the State Board for Community Colleges, 1957-2002
- Inclusive dates
- Adult education -- Virginia
- Community colleges -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Community colleges -- Virginia -- Finance
- Virginia Community College System
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Education, Higher -- Virginia
- Community colleges -- Virginia -- Planning
- The Records of the State Board for Community Colleges contain correspondence of Board members between 1957 and 2000. In addition, there are minutes of the Advisory Council of Presidents from 1966 to 1995, the Chancellor's Faculty Advisory Committee from 1992 to 1996, and various committees including the Facilities Committee, Personnel Committee, Academic & Student Affairs Committee, Budget & Finance Committee, Executive Committee, Audit Committee, and the Building & Site Committee. Lastly, there is attendence data, board profiles, liaison assignments, and other sundry items documenting the State Board for Comunity Colleges
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Community College System. (Search Virginia Community College System as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Community College System was established in 1966 by an enabling act of the Virginia General Assembly. The System includes the State Board for Community Colleges, the Virginia Department of Community Colleges, and 23 community colleges located throughout the Commonwealth. The System was founded for the purpose of broadening the base of higher education in Virginia and providing a much wider variety of post-high school education and technical training opportunities than previously had been available. The governing arm of the System is the State Board for Community Colleges which follows higher education policy guidelines established by the State Council of Higher Education. The operating and administrative arm is headed by the Chancellor who is selected by the State Board and who is empowered to administer the policies, procedures, and regulations of the State Board. Existing two-year branches of state-supported four-year universities were transferred into the Community College System in accordance with the Virginia General Assembly act, along with the post-high school programs of area vocational-technical schools formerly operated under the State Department of Technical Education, forerunner of the present system. The System is under the Governor's Secretary of Education, and it operates under guidelines set out in the Federal Vocational Act of 1963 and the Higher Education Facilities Act.
- The State Board is responsible for: preparation and administration of a plan with standards for establishment, development and implementation of a comprehensive Community College System; control and expenditure of funds appropriated for use in the System; acceptance of grants and contributions with the Governor's approval; conference of associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates; establishment of policies for creation of a local community college board for each institution; and adherence to policies of the State Council of Higher Education for the coordination of higher education.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Records of the State Board for Community Colleges, 1957-2002
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Records of the State Board for Community Colleges, 1957-2002
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/f3HnvDH--mA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/f3HnvDH--mA/">Records of the State Board for Community Colleges, 1957-2002</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...