The Resource Celebration at Yorktown, : correspondence and vouchers, 1824-1825
- Celebration at Yorktown, : correspondence and vouchers, 1824-1825
- Title remainder
- correspondence and vouchers
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Disbursements to Localities and Individuals: Local Government Expenses - Celebrations
- This series contains the following records: Act Authorizing Payment of Expenses, 1825, 1 item; Correspondence, 1824, 3 items; Vouchers, 1824-1825, 2 in. Correspondence is from Robert G. Scott to Dr. Jesse Cole, Oct. 7, 1824, regarding Cole's payment of $1,000 for workers; W. Boatwright to H. Butler, Oct. 11, 1824, regarding a servant Boatwright sent to assist at General Nelson's house, and James Warrell to Gov. James Pleasants, Oct. 24, 1824, asking for payment. The vouchers are principally from William Boatwright, agent for the Military Committee of Superintendance for the event
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Marquis de LaFayette toured the United States in 1824 and 1825, and in honor of his visit to Virginia, a celebration was held at Yorktown on 19 October 1824. For the celebration a triumphal arch, two obelisks with reliefs, an amphitheater, and a large marquee were constructed. Other decorations consisted of transparencies (historical scenes painted on cloth and illuminated by candlelight) executed by James Warrell (born ca. 1780; died before 1854.) Military forces at the celebration included five hundred United States troops and several county militia companies. The vouchers in this series show that large quantities of foodstuffs, beverages, china, cutlery, and even furniture were purchased for this event. The General Assembly passed an act on 25 January 1825 authorizing the state to assume the cost of the celebration, which totaled $10,178.04.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 692
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Celebration at Yorktown, : correspondence and vouchers, 1824-1825
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Celebration at Yorktown, : correspondence and vouchers, 1824-1825
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fL87e5fzf64/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fL87e5fzf64/">Celebration at Yorktown, : correspondence and vouchers, 1824-1825</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...