The Resource New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827.
- New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827.
- Inclusive dates
- Local government records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Public records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Land grants -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 17th century
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Deeds -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.)
- Land records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827. The collection contains four deeds and one land grant, as follows: a deed between Charles Fleming and Cornelius Bagby (?), 1697; a deed between John D. Watkins and Philadelphia C. Watkins, his wife, of the first part and James Semple, of the second part, 1827 Oct. 3; a deed between John P. Gordon and his wife of the City of Richmond and County of Henrico, of the one part, and Archaelaus Hughes of the City of Richmond of the other part, 1805 Nov. 2; a deed between Edwin J. Clopton of the City of Richmond of the one part and Joseph Wade of the County of York of the other part, 1809 Nov. 1; and a land grant of 3,273 acres to Thomas Nelson for the importation of 21 persons, 1719 Feb. 20
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- New Kent County may have been named either for the English county of Kent or for Kent Island, in the upper waters of the Chesapeake Bay. William Claiborne, a native of Kent who had been driven from Kent Island by Lord Baltimore, was a prominent resident of the New Kent area about 1654 when the county was formed from York County. Part of James City County was added in 1767. The county seat is New Kent.
- Records were destroyed when John Posey set fire to the courthouse on 15 July 1787. Many records were lost when the courthouse was partially destroyed by fire during Civil War hostilities in 1862. Additional records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
- Location of other archival material
- Additional New Kent County Land Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia City and County Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia web site.
- New Kent County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional New Kent County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fl2Lj5swgHU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fl2Lj5swgHU/">New Kent County (Va.) Deeds and Land Grant, 1697-1827.</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...