The Resource The Confederate cavalry : its wants, trials, and heroism, 1898
- The Confederate cavalry : its wants, trials, and heroism, 1898
- Title remainder
- its wants, trials, and heroism
- Inclusive dates
- Manuscript draft, 1898, of an address by John Lamb entitled "The Confederate Cavalry: Its Wants, Trials, and Heroism." Lamb discusses the inability of the Confederate government to supply horses to its troops, the reorganization of the cavalry and lack of manpower, arms, and equipment, the cavalry battle at Fleetwood Hill in Culpeper County, Virginia, and he laments on how little has been written concerning the contributions of the cavalry soldier. The address was published in the Southern Historical Society Papers (1898), pp. 359-365
- Biographical or historical data
- John Lamb was born in Sussex County, Virginia on 12 June 1840. He attended a private school, and during the Civil War enlisted in the Confederate Army in Company D, Third Virginia Cavalry. Lamb commanded his company three years. Following the war, he engaged in mercantile pursuits, and served as sheriff, treasurer, and surveyor of Charles City County. Lamb was elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-fifth and to the seven succeeding Congresses, serving from 4 March 4, 1897 to 3 March 1913. He was superintendent of Battle Abbey, the Confederate Memorial institute in Richmond, Virginia. Lamb died on 21 November 1924, and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of The Confederate cavalry : its wants, trials, and heroism, 1898
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The Confederate cavalry : its wants, trials, and heroism, 1898
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fqHR9zl9TPY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/fqHR9zl9TPY/">The Confederate cavalry : its wants, trials, and heroism, 1898</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...