The Resource James Mercer Garnett essay, 1891
- James Mercer Garnett essay, 1891
- Inclusive dates
- United States, (1774)
- Garnett, James Mercer, 1840-1916
- Personal papers
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- Virginia, (1776)
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Committees of correspondence
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Essay, 1891, by James Mercer Garnett (1840-1916) entitled "Early revolutionary history of Virginia, 1773-1774." Topics include the Committee of Correspondence, the First Continental Congress (1774), and the Virginia Convention (1776). Located on microfilm frames 226-253
- Biographical or historical data
- James Mercer Garnett was born 24 April 1840 in Loudoun County, Virginia, to Theodore Stanford Garnett (1812-1885) and Florentina Isidora Moreno Garnett (1822-1907). He received his M.A. from the University of Virginia in 1859. When the Civil War began, he enlisted in the Rockbridge Artillery, but transferred to become an ordnance officer in Rodes’, later Grimes’ Division in the 2nd Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. Garnett was a professor at the University of Virginia from 1882 to 1896. He married Kate Huntington Noland (1849-1919), daughter of Burr Powell Noland (1818-1889) and Susan Champline Noland (d. 1872) of Loudoun County, and they had one son. Garnett died 18 February 1916, and was buried in the Sharon Cemetery in Middleburg, Loudoun County.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of James Mercer Garnett essay, 1891
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work James Mercer Garnett essay, 1891
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gAjKuYRDOlw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gAjKuYRDOlw/">James Mercer Garnett essay, 1891</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...