The Resource Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 1669
- Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 1669
- Inclusive dates
- Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 9 May 1669
- Additional physical form
- Original available on microfilm (Virginia Colonial Records Project, Film 1607, Reel 363).
- Biographical or historical data
- Larger and older than any of the Council grants was the one in that area between the Rappahannock and Potomac rivers known as the Northern Neck. In 1649 the exiled King Charles II gave that unsettled region to seven of his loyal supporters. Charles's grant to these men was upheld following his return to the throne and renewed in 1669 as a twenty-one year lease. The lease, however, excluded three of the seven original grantees. When the heir of one of the excluded discovered the omission, he protested on his own and his uncle's behalf, and when the lease was signed in 1671, six names were included. Over the next decade, John, Lord Culpeper, one of those who had been excluded, purchased the shares of four of the six lessees and, in 1688, the final grant to the Northern Neck was issued to Thomas, Lord Culpeper. His daughter's marriage to Thomas, Lord Fairfax, in 1690, introduced the family whose name became synonymous with the region.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of originals duplicates
- Original record located at British Public Record Office, Chancery 66/3109.
ContextContext of Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 1669
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 1669
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gB7BHpe2VV8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gB7BHpe2VV8/">Grant of the Northern Neck of Virginia by Charles II, 1669</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...