The Resource Ashby's Gap Turnpike Company records, 1819-1866
- Ashby's Gap Turnpike Company records, 1819-1866
- Inclusive dates
- These records include letters sent, returns, dividend statements, stock certificates and lists of stockholders, for the years 1819-1820, 1824, 1827-1854, 1857-1861, 1866
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly to incorporate a company to pave a road from the western extremity of the Little River Turnpike road, through Ashby's Gap to the Shenandoah River, was approved January 30, 1810. The road was built at the joint expense of the Ashby's Gap and the Little River Turnpike companies using funds from individual subscribers and bank loans. The length of the road was nearly 21 miles. An act of the General Assembly approved 7 February 1825 authorized the Board of Public Works to subscribe to a part of the company stock with the provision that the Board would have two directors representing interests of the state. On February 13, 1877, the General Assembly authorized the Clarke County court to establish a toll-gate on the turnpike in order to finance road maintenance.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 204
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Ashby's Gap Turnpike Company records, 1819-1866
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Ashby's Gap Turnpike Company records, 1819-1866
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gYF9Ujk1FKw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gYF9Ujk1FKw/">Ashby's Gap Turnpike Company records, 1819-1866</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...