The Resource Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817
- Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817
- Inclusive dates
- Landlord and tenant. -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Arlington County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Traditional medicine -- Virginia | Arlington County
- African Americans -- History
- Agriculture -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Slaves -- Virginia | Arlington County
- [Alexander, Charles]
- Plantations -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Plantation records -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Arlington County
- Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817, records the operation of and expenses incurred by Alexander's Arlington County farm. Entries regarding expenses record wages for day laborers, payments for farm supplies and livestock, and sale or purchase of slaves. Other entries record the sale of agricultural produce (corn, wheat, clover) by Alexander to individuals. It also records rent of property to tenants. This volume also contains short passages pertaining to medicinal remedies, agricultural theory, and events occurring on the plantation
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Alexander was a prominent landowner and farmer in Alexandria County during the early nineteenth century.
- Arlington County was originally named Alexandria County. It was formed from a portion of Fairfax County that Virginia in 1789 ceded to the federal government for use as the site of a new national capital. In 1801 the area officially became part of the District of Columbia, although Congress named it Alexandria County. By an act of 9 July 1846, Congress returned the county to Virginia, and the General Assembly extended the commonwealth's jurisdiction over the region effective 20 March 1847. By an act of assembly passed 16 March 1920, the county's name was changed to Arlington, the name of the Custis family mansion (the home of Robert E. Lee), which is located in the county. An urban county, Arlington contains no incorporated towns or cities.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gZFVTk4KJSY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gZFVTk4KJSY/">Charles Alexander Farm Ledger, 1800-1817</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...