The Resource 1771
- Inclusive dates
- Typescript copy of the chancery suit, John Hite et. al. vs. Thomas Lord Fairfax, Virginia General Court, Williamsburg, Virginia, dated 1771. This lawsuit involves land grants in Northern Neck, Virginia
- Agency history record (ID0009-52160) describes the history and the functions of the Virginia General Court. (Search as a/ Virginia General Court).
- Additional physical form
- See Josiah L. Dickinson's, THE FAIRFAX PROPRIETARY, 1959, for printed abstract.
- For photostat copy of original record see Accession 24663 which includes various plats not filed with this typescript copy.
- Biographical or historical data
- The Hite-Fairfax Suit began in 1749 and was argued and recorded in 1771 at Williamsburg, Virginia. The suit was over land grants in Northern Neck, Virginia. In 1731 Joist Hite obtained 40,000 acres of land from John and Isaac VanMeter. The VanMeters had previously secured their conditional grants by orders of the governors and council, dated 17 June 1730. The territory was a vast tract of unchartered wilderness and did not require Hite to locate his surveys in a single, wide enclosure. He was allowed to scatter his settlement across the best and most favorably located tracts, leaving large waste areas ungranted. Lord Fairfax, however, argued that the Hite land grant infringed on his land grant and accused Joist Hite of misusing his claim and frustrating the future growth of the Valley settlements. Fairfax won the first judgment, but Hite appealed, and the trial went in his favor in June 1784. By the time the final settlement was achieved around 1802, all of the principals to the cause were dead.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Chancery suit
ContextContext of 1771
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1771
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gcrBWfA_8cw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gcrBWfA_8cw/">1771</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...