The Resource 1913-1964 circa
- 1913-1964 circa
- Inclusive dates
- 1913-1964 circa
- Plats -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Land records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Debt -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.) -- Genealogy -- Genealogy
- Equity. -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- African Americans -- History
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Wills -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1913-1964 circa, consists of processed and unprocessed cases. The processed suits are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, business records, or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Nelson County was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. It was formed in 1807 from Amherst County.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Nelson County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Library of Virginia's Chancery Records Index for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
ContextContext of 1913-1964 circa
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1913-1964 circa
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gw5ciOceaVo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gw5ciOceaVo/">1913-1964 circa</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...