The Resource 1776 July 20
- 1776 July 20
- Inclusive dates
- 1776 July 20
- Letter, 20 July 1776, from John Page (1744-1808), lieutenant governor of Virginia, to John Hancock (1737-1793), President of Congress, acknowledging receipt of the copy of the Declaration of Independence, and regretting that Virginia cannot assist in raising the needed number of riflemen for the Continental army. Page states that the Virginia government does not have the power to fulfill the request, but adds that commissioners are welcome to come to Virginia and raise such companies
- Additional physical form
- The letters were published in OFFICIAL LETTERS OF THE GOVERNORS OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, edited by H.R. McIlwaine (Richmond : Virginia State Library, 1926), I:11-12.
- Biographical or historical data
- John Page was born 17 April 1743 or 1744 at Rosewell in Gloucester County, Virginia, to Mann Page (b. 1718) and Alice Grymes Page (1723-1746). He attended the College of William and Mary. When the American Revolution began, Page raised a regiment from Gloucester County and received a commission of colonel in the army. He served as lieutenant governor from 1776 to 1779, and in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1781 to 1783, from 1785 to 1788, and from 1797 to 1801. Page was a member of the United States Congress from 1789 to 1797. Elected governor, Page served from 1802 to 1805. After his term as governor, Page was U.S. commissioner of loans for Virginia. He married first Frances Burwell (d. ca. 1787) in 1765, and they had nine children. He married second Margaret Lowthar in 1789, and they had eight children. Page died in Richmond, Virginia, 11 October 1808, and is buried at St. John's Church.
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- The original is located in the Library of Congress.
ContextContext of 1776 July 20
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1776 July 20
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gw7TOZADJv0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/gw7TOZADJv0/">1776 July 20</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...