The Resource Lexington Arsenal records, 1816-1845
- Lexington Arsenal records, 1816-1845
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - Arsenals
- This series contains accounts and payrolls for supplies and artisans at the arsenal. The accounts contain the names of persons to whom payments were made, the amounts, and the dates paid. The payrolls contain names of artisans, dates of service, and rates of pay. Records cover periods from 1816-1840, and 1845
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Manufactory of Arms was established by an act passed by the General Assembly on 23 January 1798. The manufactory, which served as an armory as well, opened in Richmond in 1802 and reached full operating capacity by 1809. Its purpose was to furnish the state's militia with standard muskets, pistols, swords, and bayonets. It did its job so well that in December 1822 the General Assembly voted to close it, in part because of an economic recession and the increased use of weapons provided by the federal government. The building fell into disrepair until the machinery from the Harper's Ferry armory was installed in 1861 and the manufactory was leased to the Confederate government. In 1865 the structure was gutted during the Richmond evacuation fire. The remaining walls were pulled down in 1900.
- To avoid storing too many arms in one place, another arsenal was completed at Lexington in 1817 and some weapons and gunpowder were transferred there from the armory in Richmond. After Virginia Military Institute was formed in 1839, the cadets served as guards for the arsenal, and regular troops no longer were stationed there.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 176
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Lexington Arsenal records, 1816-1845
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lexington Arsenal records, 1816-1845
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/h19wjF4NJaA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/h19wjF4NJaA/">Lexington Arsenal records, 1816-1845</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...