The Resource Charles Copland letter book, 1792-1799
- Charles Copland letter book, 1792-1799
- Inclusive dates
- Letter book, covering the period 1 October 1792 to 18 September 1799, of Charles Copland (ca. 1756-1836), an attorney in Richmond, Virginia. The correspondence is to clients whom he represented in various lawsuits, giving the status of their case, and actions which he took on their behalf. Many of the suits concern the collection of debts. There is a full name index at the end of the volume
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Copland was born about 1756, probably in Charles City County, Virginia. In 1788, he moved to Richmond, Virginia and became a leading member of the bar. He represented the city of Richmond in the House of Delegates from 1799 to 1801. Copland and his wife Rebecca Nicholson Copland (d. 1800) had 9 children. His daughter Margaret (1792-1811) died in the Richmond Theater fire in 1811. He married his second wife, Hennengham C. Barnard (ca. 1781-1838) 13 October 1808. Copland died 24 November 1836, and is buried in St. John’s Church cemetery in Richmond.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Charles Copland letter book, 1792-1799
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Copland letter book, 1792-1799
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/hIetcnRlpLU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/hIetcnRlpLU/">Charles Copland letter book, 1792-1799</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...