The Resource Annals of Virginia draft, ca. 1849
- Annals of Virginia draft, ca. 1849
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1849
- Draft, ca. 1849, by Conway Robinson (1805-1884) of some 59 chapters of a planned work entitled "The Annals of Virginia." Intended by Robinson and an unspecified committee as a comprehensive collection of primary sources and commentary on "whatever matter relating to our history [the committee] may deem worthy of publication," the work was never completed. This section includes a mix of completed chapters and rough chapter outlines for Volume I, covering the events leading up to the establishment of the Virginia colony and its early history, to 1617. This collection is located on frames 546-689 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- Conway Robinson was born in Richmond, Virginia, on 15 September 1805 to John Robinson (1773-1850) and Agnes Conway Moncure Robinson (1780-1862). He served as deputy clerk of the Virginia General Court in 1826, and was admitted to the bar in 1827. In 1828, Robinson began practicing before the Virginia Supreme Court and in 1838, began practicing before the United States Supreme Court. Robinson was appointed to the board of the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad in 1834, and when the railroad was in fiscal trouble in 1836, he was appointed president. Robinson brought the RF&P out of debt in two years. He served as reporter of the Virginia Supreme Court from 1842 to 1844, and revised the Code of Virginia in 1849. Robinson was elected to the House of Delegates for one term in 1852. In 1858, he moved to the District of Columbia to work on a seven-volume legal history. With some interruption during the Civil War, Robinson practiced law before the Virginia and United States Supreme Courts and wrote several works on the law. He married Mary Susen Selden Leigh (1816-1900) 14 July 1836, and they had eight children. Robinson died on 30 January 1884 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, while on a visit to his brother. Robinson was buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Annals of Virginia draft, ca. 1849
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Annals of Virginia draft, ca. 1849
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/huyGz8Dkgf0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/huyGz8Dkgf0/">Annals of Virginia draft, ca. 1849</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...