The Resource Third draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776
- Third draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776
- Inclusive dates
- Third draft, 1776, of a constitution to be submitted to the Virginia Convention of 1776 as a draft of a bill for new modelling of the form of government and establishing fundamental principles prepared by Thomas Jefferson. It was a basis for the 1776 Constitution of Virginia. Document published in THE PAPERS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON, vol. 1, pp. 356-365, Julian Boyd, editor
- Biographical or historical data
- Thomas Jefferson was born 13 April 1743 in Goochland County, Virginia (now part of Albemarle County, Virginia). He graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1762. A member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1769 to 1775, Jefferson represented Virginia in the Continental Congress in 1775 and 1776. He wrote the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Jefferson served as governor of Virginia from 1779 to 1781. After serving another term in Congress from 1783 to 1784, he was appointed minister to France and served from 1784 to 1788. Jefferson served as Secretary of State under President George Washington from 1789 to 1793, and as Vice President under President John Adams from 1797 to 1801. Jefferson succeeded Adams as president, serving from 1801 to 1809. Upon his retirement, Jefferson returned to his home, Monticello, in Albemarle County. He founded the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. Jefferson died 4 July 1826 and was buried at Monticello.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- New York Public Library, 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, New York, New York.
ContextContext of Third draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Third draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/i8KjphYfZa0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/i8KjphYfZa0/">Third draft of the Virginia Constitution, 1776</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...