The Resource Unidentified General Store Daybook F,
- Unidentified General Store Daybook F,
- Business records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Local government records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- General stores. -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Dry-goods -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Daybooks -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Unidentified General Store Daybook F, 1861-1863, 1866-1868, 1875-1876, records transactions of an unidentified general store as they occurred on a daily basis. Information found in entries includes name of customer, items purchased, quantity of items purchased, cost per item, amount owed, and page number where information was transferred to a corresponding ledger which is missing. Additional entries found in daybook records the receipts and payments of credit accounts. Merchandise sold include whiskey, soda, farm tools, clothing, dry-goods, dishes, and bull tongues. Volume was mislabeled as a poor house day book
- Biographical or historical data
- New Kent County may have been named either for the English county of Kent or for Kent Island, in the upper waters of the Chesapeake Bay. William Claiborne, a native of Kent who had been driven from Kent Island by Lord Baltimore, was a prominent resident of the New Kent area about 1654 when the county was formed from York County. Part of James City County was added in 1767. The county seat is New Kent.
- Records were destroyed when John Posey set fire to the courthouse on 15 July 1787. Many records were lost when the courthouse was partially destroyed by fire during Civil War hostilities in 1862. Additional records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War.
- The unidentified general store conducted business during the mid-nineteenth century in the town of Barhamsville, New Kent County, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- New Kent County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional New Kent County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Unidentified General Store Daybook F,
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Unidentified General Store Daybook F,
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/iEDJXD6_BiI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/iEDJXD6_BiI/">Unidentified General Store Daybook F,</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...