The Resource 1688-1858
- Inclusive dates
- Marriage records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Equity. -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Wills -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Courts of chancery -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Marriage licenses -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Claims -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Public records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- New Kent County (Va.) -- History
- New Kent County (Va.)
- Judicial records -- Virginia | New Kent County
- Records, 1688-1858, of New Kent County Circuit Court consist of wills (1688, 1835, 1853, 1858), marriage licenses (1835, 1840, 1841), a commonwealth claim (1770), a bill of complaint in the chancery suit John Coalter vs. the trustees of John D. Watkins and others (no date.)
- Wills include Moses Davis (1688), Robert Pollard (1835), Dr. Samuel Webb (1853), and Richard B. Taylor (1858.)
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- New Kent County may have been named either for the English county of Kent or for Kent Island, in the upper waters of the Chesapeake Bay. William Claiborne, a native of Kent who had been driven from Kent Island by Lord Baltimore, was a prominent resident of the New Kent area about 1654 when the county was formed from York County. Part of James City County was added in 1767. The county seat is New Kent.
- Records were destroyed when John Posey set fire to the courthouse on 15 July 1787. Many records were lost when the courthouse was partially destroyed by fire during Civil War hostilities in 1862. Additional records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
- Location of other archival material
- New Kent County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional New Kent County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of 1688-1858
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1688-1858
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/iZ-cpfy60Wc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/iZ-cpfy60Wc/">1688-1858</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...