The Resource Military operations in the vicinity of Petersburg in 1864-1865, ca. 1870
- Military operations in the vicinity of Petersburg in 1864-1865, ca. 1870
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1870
- Article, ca. 1870, written by Gen. Cadmus Marcellus Wilcox (1824-1890), in response to a military memoir of Gen. William Mahone (1826-1895), written by J. Watts De Peyster (1821-1907), which appeared in the June 1870 issue of the New York Historical Magazine. Wilcox corrects what he considers to be errors respecting his command during the seige of Petersburg, including at the Battle of the Crater
- Biographical or historical data
- Cadmus Marcellus Wilcox (20 May 1824-2 December 1890) was a career U.S. Army officer who served in the Mexican-American War and was a Confederate general in the Civil War. After the close of the war, Wilcox was offered a command as a brigadier general in the Egyptian army, but declined. In 1886, President Cleveland appointed Wilcox as chief of the railroad division for the U. S. government, and he served in that capacity until retirement. A life-long bachelor, Wilcox cared for his brother's widow and small children following John Wilcox's sudden death in February 1865. Cadmus M. Wilcox died in Washington and was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Military operations in the vicinity of Petersburg in 1864-1865, ca. 1870
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Military operations in the vicinity of Petersburg in 1864-1865, ca. 1870
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/izsnh15zf8o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/izsnh15zf8o/">Military operations in the vicinity of Petersburg in 1864-1865, ca. 1870</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...