The Resource Letter of Thomas Marshall, 1782 Feb. 14
- Letter of Thomas Marshall, 1782 Feb. 14
- Inclusive dates
- 1782 Feb. 14
- Contains a letter of T[homas] Marshall, Richmond, to William Davies, Commissioner of the War Office, on behalf of the board of field officers transmitting their proceedings [proceedings not included]. Marshall also requests that the board of officers receive a reasonable allowance for their expenses
- Biographical or historical data
- Congress passed a resolution on October 3, 1780, that upon the reform of the army to take place on January 1, 1781, those officers who become supernumerary be entitled to half-pay for seven years. Another resolution was passed on October 21, 1780, which stated that the commander-in-chief, and commanding officer in the Southern department, direct the officers of each state to meet and agree upon the officers for the regiments to be raised, from those inclined to continue in the service, and where it cannot be done by agreement, to be determined by seniority, and make return of those who are to remain. The Board of Officers was appointed by Brigadier General Peter Muhlenburg for the purpose of adjusting and finally settling an arrangement of the Virginia Line. The Board of Officers decided matters of dispute with respect to the rank of officers, received the claims of officers, examined evidence, and presented the facts and their opinion to the commander-in-chief. Colonel James Wood served as president of the board.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Letter of Thomas Marshall, 1782 Feb. 14
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Letter of Thomas Marshall, 1782 Feb. 14
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jRCAgNXDhZY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jRCAgNXDhZY/">Letter of Thomas Marshall, 1782 Feb. 14</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...