The Resource South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists, 1961-1965
- South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists, 1961-1965
- Inclusive dates
- South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists record by district for the years 1961, 1962, and 1965 the names of persons who have paid all state poll taxes for a particular year. These lists were required to be submitted to the circuit courts and the Auditor of Public Accounts
- Biographical or historical data
- Halifax County was named for George Montagu Dunk, second earl of Halifax, who was president of the Board of Trade from 1748 to 1761. It was formed from Lunenburg County in 1752.
- South Boston, in Halifax County, was named for Boston, Massachusetts. The town originally was located on the south side of the Dan River and called Boyd's Ferry. It was established in 1796 but was destroyed by floods shortly thereafter. Reestablished on the north side of the Dan River, it was incorporated as a town in 1884 and as a city by court order in 1960. In 1995, South Boston reverted to town status within Halifax County.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Virginia. Dept. of Taxation.
ContextContext of South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists, 1961-1965
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists, 1961-1965
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jXWbO9UALHQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jXWbO9UALHQ/">South Boston (Va.) Poll Tax Lists, 1961-1965</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...