The Resource Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765
- Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765
- Inclusive dates
- Tax and fiscal records -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Prince William County (Va.)
- Slaves -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Prince William County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century
- Tithable lists -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Taxation. -- Virginia | Prince William County
- Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765. Consists of photocopies of tithable heads of household in the county for the year 1765
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Prince William County was formed from Stafford and King George Counties in 1730.
- In seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Virginia, the term "tithable" referred to a person who paid (or for whom someone else paid) one of the taxes imposed by the General Assembly for the support of civil government in the colony. In colonial Virginia, a poll tax or capitation tax was assessed on free white males, African American slaves, and Native American servants (both male and female), all age sixteen or older. Owners and masters paid the taxes levied on their slaves and servants. For a more detailed history of tithables, consult "Colonial Tithables" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
- Many pre-Civil War records were lost, destroyed, or stolen by Union troops in 1863 during the Civil War. Sixteen deed books and five will books are missing.
- Cataloging source
- Location of originals duplicates
- LVA accession 34683.
- Location of other archival material
- Photocopies made from originals found in Melvin Steadman Collection, Accession number 34683.
- Prince William County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Prince William County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jYylUP_ICdg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jYylUP_ICdg/">Prince William County (Va.) Lists of Tithables, 1765</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...