The Resource Tobacco and flour inspectors general records, 1778-1878
- Tobacco and flour inspectors general records, 1778-1878
- Inclusive dates
- This series contains the following records: Accounts for Rents, 1790-1791, 1793, 1795, 1797, 12 items; Appointments of Tobacco Inspectors Since the War, 1865-1866, 1 item; Burned Tobacco, Accounts and Claims, 1776, 1780-1783, 1788-1796, 1797-1801, 1808, 1810-1811, 1856, 11 in.; Correspondence Received and Sent, 1792, 1822, 1832, 1855, 1858-1861, 1864, n.d., 2 in.; Grand Jury Valuations of Tobacco, 1780-1785, 13 items; Inspectors' Returns: Flour 1794, 1796-1800, 1802-1804, 1806-1807, 1810-1811, 1813-1814, 1816-1819, 1821, 1823-1825, 1827-1848, 1852, 1857-1858 (5 in.), Flour and Tobacco, 1776-1867, 1872, 1878 (11 ft. 3 in.); Lists: Exported Tobacco, 1792-1794 (2 items), Tobacco Sold After 2 Years, 1787-1800 (1 item), Warehouse Accounts, 1843-1858, 1864, n.d. (17 items); Memoranda, 1862-1863, 4 items; Opinion of Attorney General, 1855, 2 items; Resolution, 1861, 1 item; Returns Received at Auditor's Office, 1865, 1 item; Tobacco Manifests, 1789-1791, 1804-1808, 1 ft. 2 in
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in October 1776 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing county courts to appoint inspectors to examine barrels of flour prior to sale. Subsequent acts made the inspection system more elaborate: inspectors weighed each barrel and stamped it with the place of inspection, the quality of the flour, and the name of the miller. Periodic reports were made first to the treasurer and later to the auditor of public accounts.
- The General Assembly passed an act regulating the inspection of tobacco during its session begun in October 1777. Inspectors were nominated by county courts and commissioned by the governor. They inspected and graded tobacco, weighed hogsheads, and maintained records of the movement of tobacco in and out of public warehouses. Owners of tobacco were entitled to reimbursement for property destroyed in warehouse fires, upon certification by the inspectors. Periodic reports were made by the inspectors to the auditor of public accounts.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 296
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Tobacco and flour inspectors general records, 1778-1878
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Tobacco and flour inspectors general records, 1778-1878
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jprRrdJXDlk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/jprRrdJXDlk/">Tobacco and flour inspectors general records, 1778-1878</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...