The Resource The beau ideal of a soldier : Brigadier General Charles Dimmock
- The beau ideal of a soldier : Brigadier General Charles Dimmock
- Title remainder
- Brigadier General Charles Dimmock
- Master's Thesis written for the University of Richmond, Virginia by Eugene M. Sanchez-Saavendra, August 1971. This thesis examines the life of Charles Dimmock and his involvement with the Richmond Public Guard and the Virginia Ordnance Department during the Civil War. Born in Massachusetts in 1800, Charles Dimmock attended West Point, graduating in 1821. His military service was primarily spent at Fort Monroe with the First Regiment of Artillery. He participated in the second Seminole War, then resigned his commission in 1836. As a civilian, Dimmock became a civil engineer and became involved in various business activities including the Roanoke and Portsmouth Railroad and the James River and Kanawha Canal. He joined the Virginia Militia and was elected to command the Portsmouth Light Artillery. He moved to Richmond in 1843 and was elected first Captain of the Richmond Public Guard in 1844. On 14 April 1861, Dimmock was appointed colonel of ordnance in charge of the Virginia Ordnance Department and promoted to Brigadier General on 4 April 1862. In addition to his business and military duties, Dimmock also served on the Richmond Common Council during the 1850's. He died on 27 October 1863. The thesis includes bibliographic references and the following appendices: A) Historical Sketch of the Richmond Public Guard; B) List of Personnel of the Public Guard, 1844-1865; C) The Case of the Escaped Slave George Latimer, 1843
- Biographical or historical data
- Eugene Michael Sanchez-Saavedra was born in 1946 and graduated from the McBurney School for Boys in New York City in June 1963. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in History from the University of Richmond in August 1967. In August 1971, he completed the requirements for a Master of Arts in History from the University of Richmond. He worked as an archival assistant at the Virginia State Library in Richmond.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of The beau ideal of a soldier : Brigadier General Charles Dimmock
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The beau ideal of a soldier : Brigadier General Charles Dimmock
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/k5uyanGzJ2E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/k5uyanGzJ2E/">The beau ideal of a soldier : Brigadier General Charles Dimmock</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...