The Resource 1849-1954
- Inclusive dates
- Records, 1849-1954, of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County, located in Waterford, Virginia. Includes accounts, agent collection books, applications and indexes, cancelled policy ledgers, correspondence, day books, losses paid, minute books of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, policy certificates, premium indexes, risk books, securities purchased and sold, short term risk books, treasurer's records, and architectural drawings of the company's home office
- The bulk of the collection consists of applications for insurance. They include the applicant's name, residence, value(s) of dwelling house, furniture, storage house and goods, mill, and barn. Other information provided by the applicant includes location of the building(s) to be insured, of what material it is constructed, if the structure is occupied, size of the building, number of chimneys, distances between neighboring buildings, if incumbered, and for how much, and whether there is any insurance presently on it. Occasionally, there is correspondence with the applicant. The applications are arranged numerically, and are indexed in separate volumes
- The minute books also contain financial accounts of the company's secretary and treasurer, and lists of company assets. The volumes were microfilmed for preservation purposes, and are contained on six reels. MISC. REEL 4562: Minute Book, 25 May 1849 - 1 May 1871; MISC. REEL 4563: Minute Book, 1 May 1871 (cont.) - 9 August 1879, and Minute Book, 25 August 1879 - 17 December 1885; MISC. REEL 4564: Minute Book, 8 January 1886 - 9 January 1894, and Minute Book, 19 January 1894 - 20 June 1906; MISC. REEL 4565: Minute Book, 23 July 1906 - 18 April 1922, and Minute Book, 14 May 1922 - 7 November 1933; MISC. REEL 4566: Minute Book, 21 November 1933 - 29 December 1953; MISC. REEL 4567: Act of Incorporation, Constititution & By-Laws (Amended), 1897, and Letterbook, 1885-1907
- Additional physical form
- Map of Waterford, Loudoun County, Virginia from Surveys by James S. Oden, 1875, also available on compact disc (CD 199), LVA Lab Number #10_0631.
- Biographical or historical data
- The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County was incorporated on 12 March 1849. Its headquarters are in Waterford, Virginia. The first Directors' meeting was held on 25 May 1849, and the company's constitution and by-laws were adopted on 9 June 1849. The company accepted its first application for insurance later that month on 27 June. By the Civil War, the company was conducting business in seventeen Virginia counties, and assets of slightly over $15,000. It suspended operations during the war, but company meetings contintued to be held. A new company office was constructed in 1872, and a larger one was built in 1900. The company wrote policies on houses and farm buildings, as well as alms houses, canning factories, churches, mills, livery stables, banks, and jails. In the 1940's, in addition to fire insurance, the company began to cover damage from wind, hail, explosion, smoke, and on vehicles. The present company headquarters was built in 1948. On 1 March 1979, the name of the company was changed to the Loudoun Mutual Insurance Company.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County records
ContextContext of 1849-1954
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1849-1954
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kBswG6nao4k/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kBswG6nao4k/">1849-1954</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...