The Resource Director's Office correspondence and subject files, 1999-2003
- Director's Office correspondence and subject files, 1999-2003
- Inclusive dates
- Juvenile justice, Administration of -- Virginia
- Rehabilitation of juvenile delinquents -- Virginia
- State government records -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Reformatories Virginia
- Juvenile delinquency -- Virginia -- Prevention
- Correctional institutions -- Virginia
- Juvenile delinquency -- Virginia
- Juvenile detention homes -- Virginia
- Contains correspondence and subject files belonging to Carl R. Peed, acting director David W. Marsden, and Jerrauld C. Jones between 1999 and 2003. Includes both incoming and outgoing correspondence from these directors regarding personnel issues, juvenile offenders, legislation, the Virginia Wilderness Program, the Early Incentive Release Program, budget cuts, juvenile correction centers, special events, Prison Rape Elimation Act (2003), briefings, ethics, drug treatment courts, post-disposition detention, chaplain services, grants, Youth Industries, Transitional Opportunities Pogram, and substance abuse
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Juvenile Justice. (Search Virginia Dept. of Juvenile Justice as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Dept. of Juvenile Justice was created as the Dept. of Youth and Family Services on 1 July 1990 (Code of Virginia 66-1). Previously, the department operated as the Division of Youth and Family Services within the Department of Corrections. The named changed to the Dept. of Juvenile Justice in 1996. The Dept. of Juvenile Justice is headed by a Director who answers to the Governor. The department also operates under the heading of the Secretary of Public Safety.
- The mission of the Dept. of Juvenile Justice is to "protect the public through a balanced approach of accountability and comprehensive services that prevent and reduce delinquency through partnerships with families, schools, communities, law enforcement, and others, while providing opportunities for delinquent youth to become responsible and productive citizens."
- The Dept. of Juvenile Justice operates the commonwealth's juvenile detention facilities, oversees delinquency, gang, and substance abuse programs, as well as group and transitional homes. Initiatives supported by the Dept. of Juvenile Justice include detention assessment and the Youth Assessment and Screening Instrument, the Detention Re-entry Project, the Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative, and the Ombudsman Program to assist families of incarcerated youth.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Director's Office correspondence and subject files, 1999-2003
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Director's Office correspondence and subject files, 1999-2003
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kEjUoy-SynQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kEjUoy-SynQ/">Director's Office correspondence and subject files, 1999-2003</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...