The Resource Land grants, 1779-2000
- Land grants, 1779-2000
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain recorded copies of grants issued for land from the Land Office. Following a statement regarding the basis on which the grant was made is the name of the grantee, a description of the land granted, and the date on which the grant was signed. From Book 72, the form is printed and filled in. Books 125-127 (1948-1982) consist of negative photostats. Volumes from Book 128 (1982) to Book 134 (2000) are only available on microfilm
- The library does have some photocopies of Book 135 (2001-2006), but not a complete run, for use until complete book on microfilm is transferred
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author)
- Member of
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm (Virginia State Land Office, Reels 42-190 and Reels 369-378).
- Biographical or historical data
- In order to purchase waste, vacant or unappropriated lands, one had to make a payment for the land to the Treasurer. In return the purchaser was given a receipt, that was then given to the Auditor of Public Accounts, who issued a certificate. The certificate was taken to the Land Office where the Register entered a warrant authorizing a surveyor to lay off the land. The warrantee entered a claim to the land by depositing the warrant with the surveyor and returning the survey and papers to the Land Office. The Register examined, filed and recorded the documents and then issued a land grant.
- Since the reorganization of the Land Office in 1950, localities have been responsible for issuing titles to vacant lands, while the state has issued grants for escheated lands only. This system replaced the warrant and survey system.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 66
- Citation source
- Land Office Inventory
ContextContext of Land grants, 1779-2000
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Land grants, 1779-2000
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kHjscOhlCAk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kHjscOhlCAk/">Land grants, 1779-2000</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...