The Resource Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861
- Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861
- Inclusive dates
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Nansemond County
- Certificates -- Virginia | Nansemond County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Nansemond County
- Suffolk (Va.)
- Free Negro and slave records -- Virginia | Nasemond County
- Nansemond County (Va.) -- History. -- 19th century
- Free papers -- Virginia | Nansemond County
- Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861. The collection contains eight certificates issued by the court to indicate a person's free status. Free negro certificates generally include the free person's full name, sometimes age and a brief physical description, and the circumstances of the person's freedom or emancipation. Each of these certificates was issued to persons who were born free
- Biographical or historical data
- Nansemond County (extinct) was named for the Nansemond Indians, who lived in the area in the early seventeenth century. The word nansemond means fishing point or angle. When first established in 1637, the county was known as Upper Norfolk, but the name Nansemond was adopted in 1646. The county seat was Suffolk. The county became the independent city of Nansemond in July 1972, and on 1 January 1974 Nansemond merged with the city of Suffolk. The entire area is now known as Suffolk.
- Records were destroyed in three separate fires: the earliest consumed the house of the court clerk in April 1734 (where the records were kept at that time), the second was set by British troops in 1779, and the last occurred on 7 February 1866.
- An act passed by the Virginia legislature in 1803 required every free Negro or mulatto to be registered and numbered in a book to be kept by the county clerk.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Nansemond County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Nansemond County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kLZt0V7g7Q4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kLZt0V7g7Q4/">Nansemond County (Va.) Free Negro Certificates, 1827-1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...