The Resource Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company records, 1835-1857
- Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company records, 1835-1857
- Inclusive dates
- These records consist of letters sent, field notes (1835), 4 vols., reports, lists of stockholders, certificates of subscriptions, and an opinion of the attorney general regarding increasing the state's share of capital stock. The records date from 1835-1850, 1852-1853, 1857
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act incorporating the Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company was passed January 23, 1835, to construct a road from Charleston in Kanawha County to the town of Point Pleasant in Mason County. Capital was increased in 1838 and 1848 for improvements to include a bridge over the Pocatalico River in Putnam County, where the turnpike crosses the river. Approval for a toll was given, if it did not interfere with the ferry. Construction of the road was done by the company itself rather than a contractor. Mention is made of the use of 20 yoke of oxen, four work horses and between 50-60 hands.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 226
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company records, 1835-1857
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company records, 1835-1857
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kYQmvDVUWZI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kYQmvDVUWZI/">Charleston and Point Pleasant Turnpike Company records, 1835-1857</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...