The Resource Lands redeemed by the executive, 1792-1859
- Lands redeemed by the executive, 1792-1859
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Land Taxes. Redemption of Land
- This series contains the following records: Correspondence, 1817, 1 item; Agents' Bonds, 1817, 4 items; Auditors' Receipts, 1851-1859, 42 items; County Lists, 1814, 1816-1817, 2 in.; Deed, 1822, 1 item; Treasurers' Receipts, 1792-1814, 1816-1831, 5 in.; Warrant, 1817, 1 item
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- The General Assembly passed an act on 20 December 1791 authorizing the governor to transmit to sheriffs lists of land on which taxes were delinquent, so that the sheriffs might sell the land. An act passed on 9 February 1814 required the reversion of the land to the Literary Fund if no bid was received, to be held for future sale.
- On 20 February 1817 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the governor to redeem, or purchase for the state, certain lands already sold for taxes. The governor appointed agents to make the payments on his behalf, using public money. The purpose of the act was to discourage the practice of purchasing land for taxes, then holding it for speculation rather then settling and cultivating it. Subsequent acts were passed for the same purpose.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 554
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Lands redeemed by the executive, 1792-1859
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Lands redeemed by the executive, 1792-1859
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kiotL_Hm2q4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kiotL_Hm2q4/">Lands redeemed by the executive, 1792-1859</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...